Saturday, March 28, 2009

Everyone..I would like you to meet Ruby!

Sarah and Ruby!!

Yes, we have added another member to the Mathis Farm! Let me start from the beginning. On Thursday night I went to dinner with some friends from high school. (I wont tell you how long ago high school was for me!) I knew what Tobin and Sarah had planned while I was gone...but never would I have imagined it would end this way! Living in the country leaves us with LOTS and LOTS of rabbits..and coyotes. Wednesday night while Tobin was feeding the dogs he found a momma rabbit, which had met a coyote and the coyote won, and her babies beside her. Tobin came in and told Sarah and she wanted to go see them NOW! He told her when he got home the next night they could go rabbit hunting (or rabbit rescuing as it would later be called). So, as soon as they got home off the went on their hunt! (sorry the picture is so bad...Tobin took it from his phone). While at dinner I got a call from a VERY excited little girl SCREAMING in my ear they caught a rabbit...and she helped get the bucket. It was sooo cute. As I drove home I thought about how excited she was to have caught the rabbit and if she was sad when they let it go. My heart kinda broke for her..she is such a sap for animals! Well, my heart was mended rather quickly when I opened the front door and Sarah whispered "Walk slowly..the rabbit is sleeping". My eyes quickly shot darts at Tobin, and his response was silence. There was "Ruby", as Sarah informed me was his/her (I'm not checking!!!) name, in a Rubbermaid box scared out of his mind. Ruby is only 2-3 weeks old and is missing his mom pretty bad. I just looked at Tobin and said "You know..we cant get rid of it now!" He finally spoke and said "I know!" So yesterday I went to Wal-Mart and got some bedding and food for our new family member. At first I didn't want to keep him, just another pet to take care of..but the little thing has grown on me. We syringed fed him milk last night, but after reading (Thank u for the Internet) his is to old for milk. So we put an apple peel in there and this morning it was gone. Last night he didn't want any part of me holding him, but today he just laid in my hands and fell asleep while Sarah was petting him! Yes, I am in love with this little guy! He ( I keep saying he..but I really don't know the gender) is so sweet and tiny! So, Old McMathis had a farm..E I E I O..and on his farm he now has a RABBIT!!! Geeezzzz..the downside of living in the country!

On a side note: Ruby's sibling didnt make it. They found him when they found Ruby. Tobin and Sarah burried him. Sarah told me that night.."God is taking care of him now..he is in God's hands!" Thank you God for giving us such wonderful loving child..who also knows you are the caretaker of all things!

4 comments:

  1. ok..wow that brought tears to my eyes! My sweet Sarah :) I am very impressed with your change of heart since Friday HA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet little story...you are a much nicer wife than I!! HA! and PS: I love Sarah's rabbit rescuing outfit...binoculars and all! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww so cute!! Good thing Ruby doesn't have a brother/sister or else you might end up with many rabbits!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to meet little Ruby! That Toby is a pushover for that sweet girl. You are a blessed family. I love your blog - it makes me laugh. I can't wait to who little Peanut fits into this sweet family.
    love you!

    ReplyDelete