Friday, April 3, 2009

Goodbye Ruby...Hello Ruby!

This week has been a pretty emotional week for me. There have been many people, who I directly and indirectly know, that have been faced with a loss this week. I was a basket case most of Tuesday and ALL day Wednesday..thanks mom and Liz for giving me your shoulders to cry on. I was at Liz's most of the day on Wednesday and I was an nervous wreck! Why? Because Wednesday at 3:30 pm we were to go and hear the baby's heartbeat for the first time. I don't know that I would have been so emotional had I not heard of 3 mothers who have lost their babies while pregnant...this week! My heart broke for them, and I was scared of what the appointment held. I went to the appointment in tears, my OB handed me a whole box of Kleenex..my blood pressure was 160/79 ( I know that is high..I rechecked it today and it was 117/74..so all is well), and Tobin said I broke out in hives all over my chest. But, the Lord all Mighty was with us cause within a few mintues we heard the strong heartbeat of our second blessing! I just cried and thanked the Lord for giving us such a miracle, and the peace that our little peanut is tucked safe in my uterus! GOD IS GOOD!

What does that have to do with my title? Well, this is where my day started. I went in to check on Ruby and to feed her. And as you may have guessed from my title Little Ruby was no longer with us..in spirit. She lay there in her food and obviously had been dead for a while. So I quietly put her back in the laundry room and ran into the hall and called Tobin. It was one of those conversations where I was whispering as loudly as I could in the phone. His reponse was "How are you going to tell her"..and my response.."Im not..you can when you get home!" So fast forward through the day as I dreaded having to tell my child, who was SO deeply in love with this bunny, that she had died. I would have waited till Tobin got home, but Sarah kept asking to see her when we got home and that is when I told her. Oh, goodness! The tears and heartache she felt was so heartbreaking for me. I just cried and cried with her. Then my mommy instincts kicked in and I said (without talking to Tobin) we will go right now and buy you another one! Well, Tobin and I had talked about getting her another one, but not today. But oh, she was not going to suffer anymore with the thought of Ruby dying. So off to Krum Feed Store we went, and there we found Ruby (the 2nd of course). Sarah is head over heels in love again, and Tobin and her are going outside as we speak to bury Ruby. Never did I think when I was young that when you have children this is part of it. The good news, Krum Feed Store has 5 other bunnies that look just like our new Ruby. So..maybe we should just get an account with them!

6 comments:

  1. Soo cute! I may come over with the kidos on sat and get a picture with Ruby2. Very eastery :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just noticed that your little peanut is looking more like a little boy now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad your Dr's appt went well!! :)

    So sorry for the loss of Ruby #1.. poor thing! Ruby #2 is so cute and Sarah looks so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww! That's my baby girl! What a cute picture with Ruby2. I will need to put it near her other picture with a rabbit.That mom instinct is extremely strong, isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shanna - this almost exact same thing happend to our little girl and I did the same thing. Baby #2 as soon as we could. Sara's smile is precious and Ruby #2 is pretty cute too.
    love you sweet girl!
    Alberta

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shanna,

    We had some friends that had this exact same thing happen to them, and they went to the Krum feed store a got a new bunny! Much to their surprise the new bunny was pregnant....and yes they now have 6 bunnies....so if the Krum feed store runs out of bunnies....feel assured that I can locate you another.

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete